Effects of Lighting on Our Psychology
As discussed in our Insights Issue 2, lighting greatly affects how people perceive their surrounding environments. Further, people all react similarly to different lighting conditions.
A late professor from Pennsylvania State University discovered that luminance patterns influence five distinct impression factors:
• Visual Clarity: the total impression of a space.
• Spaciousness: does a space accommodate our needs?
• Pleasantness: non-uniform lighting is usually the most appealing.
• Privacy: soft lighting and warm lighting colors contribute to a more intimate setting.
• Relaxation / Energy: is the space calming or energetic?
To read the full Insights Issue and learn more about the psychology of lighting, click here.